Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Simplicity rule in software

When I downloaded R, I clicked on a big blue R and the system comes up. When I download SQLite, the system is up and running as soon as I type sqlite3 in a dos box.
When I down load R/SQLite integration I get a cryptic command in a text file that says:

R CMD INSTALL RSQLite-.tar.gz

Should I do that by pen and pencil on a paper next to me? In the Dos box? In a letter sent by snail mail? In SunSoft writer? Dunno? It would be easier for me to implement a set of software pipes than go through the days of isolating down exactly what the statement means.

The R/SQLite integration offers too much and carries too much overhead. The number of calls from R environment to SQLite is about twice the number of keywords in SQL . I need a simlpe package that just pipes between sqlite and R
 

No comments: