Thursday, July 15, 2010

Trailerbot technology

How does a self propelled flat trailer follow the owner's car through town?

When I want to move a load of sand out to the farm with my Prius, the first step is to back up to my trailerbot and signal it Ready to Go.  The little trailer will follow me through town, to the nursery for a load of sand, then out to my little Suburban Farm.  How does that work?

License plate reader technology, mostly.  The little trailer looks at the license plate on my Prius and keeps that plat at the perfect three feet using geometry, simple.  The little "trailer that could" can also communicates with my Prius using Dedicated Short Range Communications, and so it knows when I am braking or accelerating.  This is all yesterday's technology.

Where can you buy a Trailerbot?  Coming soon, late this year.

No comments: