Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tidbits on Drive by Wire

I am the human search engine.

1)
Drive-by-wire technology promises simpler and safer car control; BMW, DaimlerChrysler develop electronic steering systems; the joystick vs. the wheel

Article Abstract:

BMW and DaimlerChrysler are developing joystick-controlled systems for automobiles. One stick handles steering, the other acceleration and braking. The driver's hand movements are converted to an electronic signal and sent to a microprocessor. The processor factors in other inputs, like speed and traction, and then operates servo motors which control the steering and speed. The joysticks are seen as safer since manual reaction time is lower. Also removing the steering wheel eliminates a hazard to drivers in collisions. Test drivers say they quickly got used to the joystick.


Read more: http://www.faqs.org/abstracts/Business-general/Drive-by-wire-technology-promises-simpler-and-safer-car-control-BMW-DaimlerChrysler-develop-electron.html#ixzz0ytvUZH9a
A big market in third party control by wire replacement)
My toyota tacoma pre runner 2003, throttle position sensor failed on the freeway and I could not accelerate. Almost crashed because traffic was really going fast and I had no throttle response . I put the truck in neutral and I put my emergency lights on and rolled to the nearest of ramp. If it wasn't for my years of experience driving, this would not have been so easy. This is very common but the repairs are not. 1500 dollars at the dealership. There are several cases of this occurring if you go to toyota forum you will see this is not a unique situation. This started when I first got the truck in august 2009 but who knows if the previous owner new about the problem. I think she did. I cannot fix it because they only sale the entire throttle body which cost 1200 dollars plus labor 160 dollars. Almost 1500 dollars.

Whoops)
The alarming number of safety recalls appearing in headlines of late is worrying enough. Now researchers have shown that it's possible to take away driver control of a moving vehicle by remotely hacking into relatively insecure computer systems common in modern automobiles. The team managed to break into key vehicle systems to kill the engine, apply or disable the brakes and even send cheeky messages to radio or dashboard displays.
EE Times on he subject)
Despite recent setbacks, the steer-by-wire technology is alive and well – at least in specific off-highway markets. In this realm, many X-by-wire solutions are already in production and could easily be adopted by the passenger car industry. The article provides an overview over technologies, standards and players.

My comments:

Jump on this if you are a venture capitalists, I see two or three great companies here. E mail me, I help with due diligence.

No comments: