Monday, December 27, 2010

Crust

The Indigo Olives link is following this research. It is an entropy based mapper of topological surfaces. Sounds familiar.  The idea is to capture each portion of the pig with the same resolution, adjusting sample size to equalize quantization noise over underlying variability. They will add variable time dilation when they map moving objects, I am sure.  What they really compute are the bounded maximum entropy functions in use over the region.

Want to use this math for early indicators?  Take a surface characteristic, like road density,  light emissions (infrared or visible), people density, sewer density, oil tanker density, shipping lane density; and perform the same operation.  A great tool for economic geography, and done over time we get the regional yield curves of production.

IndigoOlives will get into that, and you can bet Google is all over this.  This is done at PARC, Palo Alto with Google up the road.

And, least I forget, this method will be popular in computer vision.

2 comments:

Ellie K said...

Hi Matt! You are a kind sort, and intuitive as well. I appreciated your comment on my blog, and could not have phrased my thoughts better than you did here on your own site. That is exactly what I had in mind, although I didn't take it any farther.

A Zerohedge fan, are you? Me too, to a degree. His site is very fun sometimes. Other times, I get to feeling depressed about the state of things. I feel loyalty to ZeroHedge though. In my minimal direct dealings with them, they have been uncommonly polite and cordial.

I've seen you around recently, back over on TypePad econ blogs. Hope all is well for you.

human mathematics said...

Matt, see my comment on Ellie's site. It looks like Crust was written in 1997.