Saturday, April 23, 2011

Speaking of transitting my location (in the basement)

Sure, put GPS on my handheld and let the world know where I am, but pay me:
Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone and Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android smartphones transmit location data from the handsets back to the companies, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing documents seen by the newspaper.

Apple “intermittently” collects information about iPhone users’ whereabouts, transmitting the data back to itself every 12 hours, the Journal reported, citing a letter it said the company sent to U.S. lawmakers last year.

Google’s Android phones send location data to the company several times an hour as well as information about local Wi-Fi networks and a code identifying the particular handset, according to the report. Google declined to comment, the Journal said. Bloomberg

Yes, another Bitcoin application. If Google wants to secretly tail my ass then pay me in Bitcoins or take their tablet and shove it.

No comments: