Friday, December 27, 2013

Ed Lambert: Capital gains vs operating profits

He notices a relationship between operating profits and corporate savings. When corporations reduce investment in the future and run off of operating profits then we get a contraction.






Here I have unadjusted federal tax income (blue) and federal interest expenses (red). Federal interest expenses have become volatile over time, it becomes hard to keep the budget stable.  Part of interest expense rise  is taxable income variation getting worse at the end of the cycle; and the Fed is generally raising interest rates.

So the Fed is generally pumping, up to a point, making capital appreciation a larger drive of federal taxes than ordinary income, capital appreciation being much more unpredictable. This same action increases the short term debt required by everyone to cover over the year.  The curve flattens as short term borrowing increase and we contract.

1 comment:

willian vivian said...

When I thought about the way things have been recently, i owe my thanks to God for letting me find this amazing personality, i mailed Mr. alex roughly 2 months now, I was actually very uncertain about investing, very scared because i was also low on cash.I gave it my all, my first investment of $2,000 two weeks ago brought me $ 29,230 last week, and what intrigues me the most is the way him handles he partners, i recommend him too to my friend jeff, after trading with him, his testimonies have let me come here to attest for him. We are happy to meet a professional in you. I am proud to recommend him to any person who has a passion for trading, meet a good mentor and get good fortunes.Contact this veteran at: totalinvestmentcompany@gmail.com