Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The delusion of object oriented programming

I create and fill a text box window.  The text appears, great, so I want to get the text memory view, I want to see it as an array of bytes. Can I do that?

The answer is yes, probably.  It's the probably.

You see, in the wonderful world of object oriented programming, the text box is not required to maintain the array of bytes.  Implementation is hiding from interface.

So, what is the object?
The object might be a simulated array implemented as a list of complex structures describing each character.

 Now I have to search the web, like so many others, and ask:  Is there actually text in the text widget, or ate they faking it? I know it is still a byte array, or else scroll would be a nightmare.  But, object oriented programming means I have no guarantee.

No comments: