Sunday, January 26, 2020

My flash card system

I have all the Spanish verbs in one flash card file, nouns in another,flash cards with lists and flash cards with complete literary passages.
ignuit 2.24.3Educational software for GNOME, following the Leitner flash card system.Copyright © 2016 Timothy Richard Musson <trmusson@gmail.com>
The verbs are regrouped by stem and many are partially conjugated for the irregular. I have lists of sample usages for many verbs. I have lists of nouns in the noun package, lists for the kitchen, house, neighborhood, store and so on.  I have lists of Spanish proverbs. I have lists of verb usages for verbs I mix up and need to practice. My words lists have a category common nouns and the the more complex nouns found in literature.

If I need a word, say 'mist', I check all thesaurus and list the synonyms and pick the one I want to use, based on how well google translate does with it.  Google translate does a lot of list management, al my new words get listed in the translator.  I also collect the Latin derivative and add that to the master definition of the verb.

My flash card system is efficient, a stand alone GNU. I can run it and read passages, proverbs, verbs and nouns; in order, by search, or random testing. I can see them all listed directly in the flash card directory manager.  So, I can take a passage from Steinbeck, work through it once to get my key stem words into a list. Then keep the passage and its translation on a flash card; read it multiple times util I am fluent with the passage.

The whole thing is modeled on a real flash card reading system I had in he fourth. The Catholic School. It was a huge, ordered collection of 8 by 11 carded passages, with an associated set of questions on the back. The student read them in order  of complexity, at their own pace. There was an associated appendix of word definitions for words introduced at the current level.

That system is easy to set up, ad hoc for special language reading and analysis or general reading improvement or in depth dictionary management. Real simple, all cut and paste, works well with google translate.

I can import as comma separated list or swap with xml format. It wold be nice if a compatible Spanish dictionary already existed.

No comments: